This Summer’s Emerging Artists
6/10 The Black Whisky Union
opening for The Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Spectacular Ft. Shawn Klush & Justin Shandor
6/17 Xs & ARROWs
opening for Fortunate Son – The Nation’s Number One Tribute to John Fogerty & Creedence Clearwater Revival
6/24 Katie Dix
opening for The Highwaymen Live – A Musical Tribute Show to Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings
7/8 Eva B Ross
opening for Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band
opening for DSB Tribute to Journey
7/22 Deadwood Jones
opening for ARRIVAL from Sweden – The Music of ABBA
7/29 Cesar Mateus Latin Jazz Group
opening for Hot August Night
8/5 Lunden Reign
opening for Bostyx
opening for The Long Run – Experience the Eagles
opening for Who’s Bad-The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience
Emerging Artists Series sponsored by:
Open Call for Emerging Artists
The Valley Cultural Center (VCC) has announced an open call for Emerging Artists to perform their original work as opening acts for the 2019 season of Concerts on the Green. VCC’s goal is to provide up-and-coming artists with a professional, established venue in which to play, promote and refine their talents, while cultivating new talent for other VCC program locations.
The Emerging Artists Showcase will take place each Sunday during the regular concert season of June through August. Bands are selected by VCC’s programming committee and will be matched-up with the genre and/or style of the headliner playing that week. Artists will open the show starting at approximately 5:30 p.m. and play until 6:15 p.m. with the regular – headliner performance beginning at approximately 6:30 p.m.
The Emerging Artist Showcase will also engage the audience by having them vote for their favorite performance of the season via Twitter. At the conclusion of the series, the band with the most fan votes will receive an “Emerging Artist Showcase Care Package”, which includes $1,000 in gear from a local musical retailer. Additionally, the artist with the most votes will headline a concert at VCC’s NoHo Summer Nights Series, North Hollywood in 2019.
“We created The Emerging Artists Showcase to provide local up-and-coming artists with a platform to share their work with the public. It’s an important part of the inclusion conversation happening now in the San Fernando Valley that’s often overlooked… simply giving artists a space to be seen and heard.
– James W. Kinsey III, CEO/President Emeritus, Valley Cultural Center
Requirements for participation
Please continue with the application process if you are willing to agree with the following requirements:
- The showcase series is open to music of all genres and styles. However, great emphasis will be given to those bands closely resembling our headline acts.
- Bands must provide their own backline equipment*
- Be willing to perform for 45-minutes from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
- Artists performance must consist of at least 90% original work. Artists may play no more than two cover songs during the set.
- Must provide a high-resolution photo for print and web
- Must provide a one paragraph bio for print and web
- Must be willing to promote their event, including VCC’s headline performer via your social media and website by providing appropriate links
- Minimize speaking during your performance. You are there to perform your work
- May NOT use vocal or instrument backtracking. Your performance must be 100% live.
- No foul and/or inappropriate language in your lyrics or suggestive body language while on stage
- Leave your egos at home
- Don’t be late for line check or your performance. Be ready to perform when called to the stage.
*It may be possible to share some or all backline equipment with the headline act. VCC’s sound engineer will contact you at least two weeks in advance to confirm. Plan on bringing your backline equipment.
Valley Cultural Center will provide the following:
- A world-class sound system both stage and house, including crew and qualified engineers
- A travel stipend of $50, payable upon completion of your set
- A 10’X10’ canopy and space for merchandise sales and general promotion of your band. This includes, table, chairs and basic electricity, if needed.
- Free parking for ONLY you and your band members. Parking is typically directly behind the stage. However, you may be required to use the adjacent parking structure.
- A quick line check per instrument and vocal microphones. We will not have time to do a complete sound check.
If you are in agreement with each of the aforementioned items, please continue with the application process.