Open call for Emerging Artists for our 2019 season
The Valley Cultural Center (VCC) has announced an open call for Artists to perform their original work as opening acts for the 2019 season of NoHo Summer Nights. Our goal is to provide up-and-coming artists with a professional venue in which to play, promote and refine their talents, while cultivating new talent for other program locations.
The NoHo Summer Nights Emerging Artists Showcase will take place each Saturday during the regular concert season – June through August. Bands are selected by VCC’s programming committee and will be matched-up with the genre and/or style of the headliner playing that week. Artists will open the show starting at approximately 7:00 p.m. and play until 7:45 p.m. with the regular – headliner performance beginning at approximately 8:00 p.m.
“We created The NoHo Summer Nights Emerging Artists Showcase to provide local up-and-coming artists with a platform to share their work with the public. It’s an important part of the inclusion conversation happening now in the San Fernando Valley that’s often overlooked… simply giving artists a space to be seen and heard.
– James W. Kinsey III, CEO/President Emeritus, Valley Cultural Center
Requirements for participation
Please continue with the application process if you are willing to agree with the following requirements:
- The showcase series is open to music of all genres and styles. However, great emphasis will be given to those bands closely resembling our headline acts.
- Bands must provide their own backline equipment*
- Be willing to perform for 45-minutes from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- Artist’s performance must consist of at least 90% original work. Artists may play no more than two cover songs during the set.
- Must provide a high-resolution photo for print and web
- Must provide a one-paragraph bio for print and web
- Must be willing to promote their event, including VCC’s headline performer via your social media and website by providing appropriate links
- Minimize speaking during your performance. You are there to perform your work
- May NOT use vocal or instrument backtracking. Your performance must be 100% live.
- No foul and/or inappropriate language in your lyrics or suggestive body language while on stage
- Leave your egos at home
- Don’t be late for line check or your performance. Be ready to perform when called to the stage.
*It may be possible to share some or all backline equipment with the headline act. VCC’s sound engineer will contact you at least two weeks in advance to confirm. Plan on bringing your backline equipment.
Valley Cultural Center will provide the following:
- We will provide a sound system and stage appropriate for the venue, including crew and qualified engineers
- A stipend of $75 per performer with a maximum of $375 per group.
- Upon request, a 10’X10’ canopy and space for general promotion of your band. The venue cannot accommodate merch sales. This includes, table, chairs and basic electricity, if needed.
- A quick line check per instrument and vocal microphones. We will not have time to do a complete sound check.
If you are in agreement with each of the aforementioned items, please continue with the application process.
2018 Summer’s Emerging Artists
Sound Art’s Boyle Heights Band: Artists That Rock (A.T.R.)
Beau LePaige & The Family Band
Luis Oliart & The Hinges